Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentines Day

Monday started off worse than most Mondays at our house. The kids were being above and beyond crazy with all their fighting and yelling, and I, the Mom completely lost my temper with them. They were unloading the dishwasher for me before school, and couldn't seem to do this simple task with out wanting to kill each other! As I stood at the top of the stairs and gazed at my house that never got fully cleaned up after dinner the night before, I did it, I give them the best example of all, and yelled at them to stop yelling and fighting! Really? Wow, it's hard to suck this much as a mother!

Needless to day, I felt guilt all dang day long! Why is raising kids the hardest job on the planet??? It is the most, the very most important thing I will ever do. I know this, but forget all too often. It was time to redeem myself.

Chuck and I had decided several weeks ago that we would celebrate Valentines day with the kids instead of going out. I ran around all day getting everything for our dinner. I was spending soooo much more on dinner than usual, so I didn't go all out on the decorations or treats for the kids, just did a few special things with what I had around the house. When the kids came home from school, they were so surprised at the table, that they were good as gold, and so excited for dinner! It made me grateful I went to the extra effort that day, especially with all the mommy guilt I had been dealing with.We had crab legs, my favorite, and something I maybe have once a year. I knew the boys would love it, but wasn't so sure about the girls, but they loved it all! Chuck would crack a leg, and then Ava would sit there with her mouth open asking for more crab daddy! I wanted to take pictures of the kids eating it, but my hands were sooooo messy from the crab, that I chose to enjoy my special dinner with those I love rather than be the photographer! We got a few after shots of the mess, and can I just tell you how yummy crab is, but how absolutely horrid it makes your house smell!!

We had a great Valentines day in the end. I feel so blessed and lucky to have Chuck in my life. I can't imagine going through this parenting adventure with anyone else! As far as the kids go, I'm glad they are quick to forgive and love their imperfect mother. What would I do with out them? Sure, my house would be much, much cleaner, but I would have four huge holes in my heart that nothing could ever fill.

Love to you all,
Lanna
P.S. Pictures to be added soon:)

No comments: