Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Best White Elephant Gift Ever!

We went to a super fun Christmas party the weekend before Christmas at our friends Nettie and Brandon's house. We were told to bring a white elephant gift for an exchange game. I always struggle with what to get, something fun, or something small and useful. Many years ago, we went to a work party, and we brought a toilet bowl brush set. I thought it was funny, but the lady who ended up with it was pretty ticked....she had brought a martini glass set, and felt pretty gypped! I never fessed up to it being the gift we brought, and have played it "safe" from then on. I called our friend Brandon, and asked what kind of a gift he wanted us to bring, funny and tacky, or small and useful? He said the funnier the better, and that he was giving a gift that they had been hanging on to for a few years, just waiting for the perfect opportunity to give it. I tried to get it out of him what the gift was, but had no luck. Chuck wasn't much help with suggestions, although he did think it should be funny. I ended up getting a laser key chain flashlight (my useful and safe gift) and a can of Axe body spray. The scent was "Dark Temptation" and was supposed to be as hard to resist as chocolate! That choice was a BIG hit, and the cause for much laughter, especially when it was sprayed....it smelt like a 7th grade dance!

Well the gift we ended up with is another story! This is probably the best white elephant gift EVER! Our friends wrapped this in a huge box that peaked all of our curiosity! When it was opened up, out came the biggest, larger than life black spider man any of us had ever seen! We laughed non stop for 10 min over this "thing" that Brandon and Nettie had ended up with when someone they came across at Magic Kingdom (I think?) asked if they wanted it. We knew our kids would think it was awesome, and they have! So when we got home from our party, we strategically placed "Spidy" to give the kids a little surprise when they woke up the next day! This is what our kids saw......



The pictures don't quite do it justice! But let me tell you this is the funniest, most obnoxious, "toy" ever made! That is one party we'll never forget!!

3 comments:

Andie said...

I totally thought that was a real person in a Spiderman costume. You'll get some good mileage out of that one in years to come. I can just see him sitting in somebody's tree at a house that your kids TP'ed or something!

Carebear said...

LOL!!! Yeah, I think it was Busch Gardens - so funny, though - that was an awesome night, and you're right, the best white elephant gift ever.

The Evans Family said...

That's kind of scary! What a perfect white elephant! And by the way, you must be blond because you spelt Isaac's name right the first time! =-) I still love you, blond or not.